Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm sync conduits for phpgw

From: Buchan Milne
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm sync conduits for phpgw
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:42:14 +0200

Brian Johnson wrote:

| Why I didn't use XMLRPC
| 1. I didn't know it existed for phpgw
| 2. when I started, it wasn't operational
| 3. any updates to phpgw will require updates to XMLRPC before the conduits
| work again (this is true for using SQL directly as well, however, I can
| debug SQL and since I'm not a programmer, I don't want to learn XMLRPC.
| Also, I can debug SQL - I don't have to wait for anyone else)
| 4. any interface that I've had experience with has limitations, I doubt
| XMLRPC will return the info that I'm looking for in the format the I
need it
| (I know this is quite the assumption, but before you judge me, look at the
| SQL queries I'm using and tell me that they are EASILY implementable
through
| XMLRPC)

The point is not that XML-RPC has any real advantage over SQL, except
that the phpgroupware xml-rpc interface *should* expose the phpgroupware
~ API. This would mean you should need to do a *lot* less work to get
specific data. If one wanted to, you could write an XML-RPC interface
that just executed SQL, but that is not the best solution.

Also, using SQL statements means you will need to be using the SQL
account that phpgroupware uses, meaning this it almost totally useless
for a multi-user setup (of course, a single-user setup would be fine).

| 5. someone else can learn that interface and if it's as easy as
claimed, it
| should be a simple matter of replacing my SQL queries

I haven't had time to even try your conduit yet, but I would like to try
and get it working with xml-rpc. There are xml-rpc modules available for
perl.

There are other projects aiming at using the xml-rpc interface (for
example, some people at OpenOffice.org might be interested in having the
mozilla calendar being able to store it's data in phpgroupware, accessed
via xml-rpc).

Maybe one of the phpgroupware developers would like to point us to some
docs on using the xml-rpc interface (if there are any), or make the
source for the kylix client available, or provide access to some other
examples.
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202