pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:08:44 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 25 Mar 2009
22:16:51 +0000:

> Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden,
> excerpted below, on  Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:24:16 +0000:
>
>> Using motzarella, I've been getting quite a few posts unreadable
>> because, Pan says, they're not complete. If it finds an incomplete post
>> on one (higher priority) server, and a complete one on another (lower
>> priority) one, will it find and grab the complete one?

> You can tell whether it's multi-segment or not, and whether pan thinks
> it can get all the parts or not, by the icons next to the posts.  A red/
> broken puzzle piece is a post pan thinks is a binary, without all the
> pieces.  A green/complete puzzle has all the pieces.  A closed envelope
> indicates a(n unread) text post, or at least one pan thinks is text
> (sometimes it's wrong).  An open envelope indicates an already read text
> message.

I meant to mention in the above but forgot...

You can if you want (if you think pan made a mistake or you want to see
the parts that are there even if they're not complete) tell pan to
download and display what it can of a post that pan says isn't all there.
Secondary-button-click (normally right-click) on the post and choose
"Read Article".  Pan should then download and display what it can, even
if it wouldn't normally do so as it doesn't believe it's all there.

BTW, pan parses the subject line to see if there's multiple segments.
Such subject lines will usually end in [x/y], example, [3/19], meaning
the third segment of 19, but due to the way pan works, it doesn't
normally display that part of the subject line as it only lists it once
instead of 19 times, once for each individual message segment.  If all 19
parts are there, it'll not display that part at all and will show the
green complete puzzle icon.  If some parts are missing, pan will say how
many parts are there (instead of [3/19] meaning the third part of 19, it
would mean three parts of the 19 are available) and show the red
incomplete puzzle icon.

However, such subject lines aren't exactly standardized and sometimes
contain the number in a series, say (36/75), for image 36 of a 75 image
series in the images groups, or (5/9), for the fifth track on a 9 track
CD, as well as the segment number.  And sometimes the series number is
last instead of the segment number, and the poster switches around the ()
and [].  Then there's the text message replies to a binary post, keeping
the same subject line but with Re: in front.  Pan normally gets those
right, due to the re:, but what about when someone posts a multi-segment
in reply, but doesn't change the subject line, so now the subject line is
wrong in the number of segments AND has re:, so pan would normally treat
it as a text message reply?  That's the one I've seen pan screw up on
most frequently, because there's simply no way it can properly figure it
out, at least not before downloading.

So pan definitely has taken on a challenging task trying to parse the
subject line automatically and take an educated guess at what it means.
It does surprisingly well, but as I mentioned, its not perfect.  That's
where the manual download trigger comes in handy, when pan makes a
mistake.