pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless : EXAMPLE

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless : EXAMPLE
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:18:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:32:25 -0700, Alan Meyer wrote:

> Alan Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Although I prefer using a news server to using a web server, there are
>> web interfaces to news that you might use as a last resort.
>
> Although there are things I like better about Pan, you can also connect
> to Motzarella with Thunderbird, the free Mozilla email and news client.
> If you see messages in Thunderbird that you can't see in Pan, then it's
> probably a Pan problem.  If the problem appears in both Thunderbird and
> Pan, then it's either a Motzarella problem or a problem with the
> original message sent by the original poster (or the server he
> originally posted to).
>
> If you see the problem in Google too, it seems very clearly to be a
> problem with the original message, not anything at your end or
> Motzarella's.

        Well, those are the only even faintly tempting arguments I've
ever encountered in favor of any web interface; I might stick a toe in,
just in hope of locating the trouble.

        But I'm pretty sure most of the groups/lists that interest me
refuse binaries; several even refuse html, or at least cuss out anybody
who uses it.

        Fwiw, I just went back to rec.guns, and tested ten of the problem
posts. Each one still got the "incomplete" error. And each, when right-
clicked, failed to respond to the Read Article choice. So I have twenty
more copies, all in a row, of that error. And I'm pretty sure rec.guns
doesn't tolerate binaries; I've certainly never seen any there.