pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests

From: J.B. Moreno
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 2 Feature Requests
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:18:27 -0400

On 7/22/02 7:55 AM, Toby Inkster at <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:25:42 +0200
> Colin Leroy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:08:09 -0700 "Himanshu J. Gohel"
> | <address@hidden> wrote:
> |
> | Hi,

> | > "Standard?"  Outlook and Outlook Express don't do this, and as far as
> | > as I remember Netscape does not either.
> |
> | Hehe, OE breaks almost any standard and lacks every useful feature. Real
> | newsreaders like Agent, MacSoup, XNews, and many others do have this
> | feature.
>
> As do most mailers -- Eudora (Win32, Mac), Becky 2 (Win32), Sylpheed (Linux),
> Evolution (Linux).
>
> I thought also that Netscape did this. Maybe not. It's been a while since I've
> used it for mail.

Netscape doesn't do this -- Mozilla has a bug for it, but although it keeps
coming up as a request (I think it's been independently reported 3 or 4
times), it doesn't look like anyone is working on it.

I started a sigdash page, <http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/sigdash.html>,
as the result of a similar discussion and an offhanded claim to be able to
name 20 programs that did it (which was answered by "prove it", which I did,
the next 30 were a bit more difficult to locate), but I'll be damned if I'd
do the same for this -- just too many matches.  In the case of the sigdash,
I started by going to the GNKSA (I have a script for examining it), in this
case that leads to 29 programs that do so (and of course it doesn't include
any email only programs).

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:08:09 -0700 "Himanshu J. Gohel"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> : I've used Sun's mailtool, dtmail and
> : some other curses based mail/news programs.
>
> Well, of course *they* don't. You can't expect text-based clients to know what
> you've done with your mouse.

Even some text based clients do this -- you set a couple of markers and away
you go (tin and trn apparently have some way of doing this).

> : *and* it is not documented.
>
> Maybe it's not, but to most people it will be obvious. We don't need to
> document that you press Enter to start a new line for instance. This is
> expected behaviour.

Exactly.

--
J.B. Moreno