pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] (Small) feature request: couple more filtering options

From: J.B. Moreno
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] (Small) feature request: couple more filtering options
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:19:38 -0400

On 7/22/02 9:09 PM, Wolf J.Flywheel at <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sunday 21 July 2002 11:01, NM wrote:

>> On the other hand, being able to filter based on the "Path" line would
>> allow to single out crap usenet providers, and "posting-host" would
>> allow to ignore stupid fucks, even only temporarily.
>
> Both of these headers are only available if you specifically ask the
> server for them; otherwise, they are only downloaded with the body of the
> message.  I *think* you have to ask for them one at a time.  If that's
> true, then grabbing these headers for all messages would dramatically
> increase the time it took to load headers for a newsgroup

There are basically 4 ways of requesting headers:
    1) ARTICLE -- all headers + body, supported by everyone
    2) HEAD    -- all headers, supported by everyone
    3) XOVER   -- overview headers, practically speaking, supported by
                  everyone (i.e. don't about it)
    4) XHDR    -- individual headers, not supported by everyone (worry)
    5) XPAT    -- individual headers, where contents match patter, not
                  supported by everyone (worry)

--
J.B. Moreno