Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low volume, distortion, etc

From: Callum Lerwick
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low volume, distortion, etc
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:44:10 -0500

> What is your motherboard chipset?  I have a MS-6163 BXMaster with
> i440BX.  The Vortex is sharing an IRQ with the video card, a Matrox
> G400.  My CPU is a Celeron-II 533 overclocked at 840mhz.

I have an Abit BH6 440BX based board, running a Celeron 800 at 992mhz, (124mhz bus).

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
        Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX
00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fe)
Subsystem: Aureal Semiconductor AU8830 Vortex 3D Digital Audio Processor
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2 Ultra] (rev 11) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Guillemot Corporation Maxi Gamer Xentor 32
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 11

So its sharing with USB and ACPI. I only have my keyboard and mouse on USB, ACPI is disabled in the BIOS and not compiled in to Linux so shouldn't be doing anything. Doesn't seem to be related to mouse/keyboard use. Maybe its more along the lines of DMA bus contention, however heavy disk and net access don't seem to reliably trigger it either. Very strange.

2. the buffer for the left channel runs out due to CPU activity, poor
granularity, etc; and the chip, without having received a signal to stop
playing, barrels onward through memory, runs into the buffer for the
right channel after passing through a little garbage (that's the "click/pop"
you hear when the swapping happens), and continues playing the right

Personally I'm not getting any noticable pops. Its just swaps. Maybe I'm just getting the DMA buffers put right next to each other. (R/L are not interleaved?)

There is still some weirdness with the fragment sizes, relating to the sample rate. I can put xmms at a 400ms buffer time and 25ms period time, and play 44.1khz audio just fine, minus R/L swapping. Any lower and it starts getting crackley, as if its underrunning on every period and inserting silence. (Not a stuttering, which would be looping over the same buffer until the next comes in) Try and play a 32khz mp3 and I have to crank it all the way up to something like 5000ms buffer/500ms period to play without crackle.