Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low volume, distortion, etc

From: Callum Lerwick
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low volume, distortion, etc
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:51:07 -0500

Can someone else with a Vortex2 (an MX300, preferably)
please test this? (Play something in xmms+oss plugin;
stop it and change the ao-plugin to alsa and play again).

I did exactly this, several times - there are no differences in playback
on my system (Aureal SQ2500).

I'm not experiencing any clicks during playback, but I do experience
shifts in stereo. It's as if the channels spontaneously reverse
sometimes. this behaviour is (vaguely) linked to the system's load. For
example, it happens a lot more in mplayer than in xmms. switching
between OSS or alsa output has no effect on the problem.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Yes, I've noticed this, however it seems to happen only on MOD files in XMMS, and low bitrate 32 or 22khz sample rate mp3's. I've yet to notice it on high bitrate mp3's and ogg, MOD's often have harsher stereo seperation and would make it more noticable. However I always used to notice when the OSS driver was flipping channels on any song, and when someone made a crappy CD rip... The mikmod plugin is mixing at 44.1khz so you'd think it wouldn't be any different once it hits the driver than a 44.1 mp3...

I've never noticied it in anything but XMMS but then I end up listening to very little stereo in Xine. I've used little else since switching to the ALSA driver. Haven't fired up any games in a while either... One interesting note is trying to play UO on Wine on the old OSS drivers would always lock my machine solid on the OSS drivers as soon as Wine's directsound subsystem fired up. Cute trick...

I still need pull the latest CVS and see if the latest patches broke anything on my card. (Vortex2)