Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low volume, distortion, etc

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Low volume, distortion, etc
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:48:50 -0500

> Just pulled the latest CVS. 1) The audio levels are great. PCM at 100%
> and master at %50 gives me nice clear undistorted audio. Put master
> higher and it gets very very loud, yet crystal clear. (Yay 200w amp and
> 65w speakers...)

I just got the latest CVS too.  The output is still quieter than the OSS
driver output for me.  With PCM at 60% and master at 100%, I have average
listening volume in xmms.  I need about 100 master/90 pcm for really "rockin"
volume where on the OSS drivers, I could use master 72 and PCM about 60
for the same volume.   It still sounds sort of attenuated when
listening through headphones too. (tinny highs, not enough bass)

Another problem is that while the OSS output in xmms seems to work fine,
the ALSA output is full of clicks and stereo-swaps more, it sounds worse in
general.  Figure that one out! :)

> 2) Start/end playback seems to be fixed. No more cutting things off.

Same here.

> 3) Stereo swapping still there, but seems to happen less. Related to
> fragment size fix?

I'm still having tons of stereo swapping.  There aren't many "pops"
when it swaps (though some small ones still happen), but it is pretty
easy to hear when it switches from one ear to the other if you listen to
music where instruments are clearly playing in one stereo channel.  It
is definitely happening more than the old OSS driver.

All that said, I'm really impressed with the progress made so far!

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253