Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:18:46 -0700

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 5:06 PM, Paul Fox <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> nobody said the local man pages would go away, and nobody said the
> online copy of documentation would be the only copy.  but some people
> do, sometimes, work on machines without man pages, or without
> /usr/share/docs.
>
> whatever.  i think the level of need is low, but saying it's a
> "non-starter" is a little strong.

Call me Grumpy[2], but any system with a packaged install of nmh that doesn't
include the man pages[1] is broken.  So yes, that's a non-starter in my books.
It's not a scenario to cater to, because the fix is to not break the packages
in the first place.

--Grumpy.

[1] If the OS that ships the crippled nmh package absolutely refuses to ship
troff, then it's up to them to include pre-formatted manpages, in the package,
in whatever format suits their user base.  And a man(1) that finds and displays
them.

[2] I'm beginning to think the "Shirley" variation even predates the birthdates
of some of the list subscriber's parents :-P