Re: [Nmh-workers] Default setup broken on Debian?

From: Conrad Hughes
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Default setup broken on Debian?
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 19:54:43 +0000

Ken> BEFORE 1.6 it certainly wouldn't do that out of the box.

Er I think the key word there was that it'd bring up "something" in a
pager.  Not necessarily something useful, but it was less aggravating
than throwing up a new window for every message part in the 100 emails I
was skimming :-/  I had customised things a bit to work around that.

[Debian]

Ken> That seems to be Alexander Zangerl, and I know he's on this list (last
Ken> time I checked).

.. yeah, and I can see that the relevant patch was introduced in this
bugfix: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=646842

Hmm.  Let's not get sidetracked into why Debian is doing what it's doing
then; it seems broken, but whatever.

As a cheap alternative to a local build of the whole thing, I pulled
down your git repo and ran mhn.defaults.sh from there, to create a
personal mhn.defaults.

That leaves me in a much improved situation, behaving as advertised;
thanks a lot for the super fast response by the way.

Building on my original question though, is there any kind of wiki or
Nmh-specific FAQ for tips and tricks?

For example,

  - I really like MessageName (undocumented?), which you can use to see
    message numbers now that mhshow doesn't show 'em by default (thanks
    for writing about that elsewhere!);

  - I'd be interested to see other people's recipes for rendering
    diverse formats as text;

  - and I'd also like to see past ideas for rewriting the message part
    headers so they stand out a bit more (mhshow.marker seems to only
    change the display of unshown parts??)..

.. looks as if the old FAQ hasn't been updated recently enough to cover
some of these.

Conrad