nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Devin Hussey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:22:21 -0500

> nano has evolved into something more than a mere Pico replacement. For
> some it is a sane, capable console editor when
> Vi, Vim or Emacs are overkill for the job.

I totally agree. I use nano for almost all of my text editing
(including coding) because I like it and I don't want to waste time on
Vim and will use it (as well as stuff like Xcode, Qt Creator,
IntelliJ, or VSCode) occasionally.

If nano wants to be more accepted as a serious editor instead of "the
one for n00bs who don't know how to use Emacs or Vim", it needs to
advertise most of its features out of the box. There is a reason more
people use Ubuntu and Mint than Arch. You just install it and use it
without messing with manual setup.

I think we should use something like these for defaults:

    # sanity
    set historylog
    set nowrap
    set mouse
    set multibuffer
    set smooth
    set softwrap
    set zap
    # line numbers
    set linenumbers
    set numbercolor brightblack # gray on most terminals
    # Actually hardcode the absolute paths into the code.
    include "/usr/share/nano/*.nanorc"

We should add the following (as well as ./configure options) to disable it:
    set olddefaults
    set overridesyntax # or something

For a few releases, we should probably notify the user once about
changed defaults and how to change them back.

-- Devin Hussey