nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Dan Mahoney (Gushi)
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:09:51 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

Hi all,

Pico was meant as an editor for text, for emails, and as such
has a line-wrapping behavior that is suitable for that.  But
nano...  I am guessing that it gets used mainly as an editor
of config files, or other files that do not like being hard-
wrapped (at the edge of the screen minus eight columns).

It is long ago that nano was meant as a libre replacement of
Pico.  Since then I think nano has become an editor in its
own right, with features like syntax coloring, line numbers,
undo/redo, and selecting text by holding Shift, all of which
Pico does not offer.  So... I am guessing that many people
who use nano do not want it to behave by default just like
Pico, they would prefer nano to have "saner" defaults.

What are your opinions on this?

I'd love to see a "soft wrap" feature in nano, personally -- perhaps where the first column could be used to see real hard-lines or not.

I'd also love to see some sort of hard-linked alias to nano like "wnano" which emulates "nano -w" in cases like defining $EDITOR where it must be a binary that exists.

-Dan