nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Dan Mahoney (Gushi)
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 00:31:26 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Victor Khong - Horsefly Realty wrote:

      Pico, they would prefer nano to have "saner" defaults.

      What are your opinions on this?

nano has evolved into something more than a mere Pico replacement. For some it
is a sane, capable console editor when
Vi, Vim or Emacs are overkill for the job.

Slightly off-topic, but on the subject of "sane":

My friends laugh at me for using nano, and yet when I've been stuck in single user mode on a solaris system console with a sun keyboard, trying to use vi:

Navigation Mode: Arrow keys work fine
Insert mode: up arrow sends "D".  For no reason I can discern.

Nano has never done this to me.  Thank you nano authors for this. :)

-Dan