Re: [Monotone-devel] Documentation Texinfo XML to Wiki converter

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Documentation Texinfo XML to Wiki converter
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:55:08 +0100

Zack Weinberg schrieb:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Philipp Gröschler <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Philipp Gröschler schrieb:
>>> In the course of the current Mini Summit I spent the afternoon hacking
>>> on a (yet still) small XSLT file whose purpose will be the conversion of
>>> Monotone's Texinfo Documentation to a set of multiple files which can be
>>> used for the Wiki.
>> I just committed the first release of this thing, in a very *pre-alpha*
>> state. But better than nothing ;-) For further informations please check
>> out "nvm.plasma.doc-wiki-xslt" and have a look the documentation
>> provided there.
>>
>> Please let me know your suggestions and if this thing could have a real
>> purpose by someday. Just so that I can keep working on it - or not.
>
> What is *your* vision for this thing?  I don't really understand what
> you have in mind so it's hard for me to evaluate.  I think we would
> prefer to keep the master copy of the manual as part of the main
> sources rather than opening it up to wiki-based editing, but that
> doesn't mean support for more different rendering formats is
> uninteresting -- far from it.

The main reason behind it was that we wanted to chain the information in
the wiki and in the manual closer together, i.e. have a common layout, a
common search functionality, a common markup, easier linkage, and so on.

The whole xslt thing is basically a test balloon how well we can convert
the current texinfo source to wiki markup and if this works out well if
we use this instead of plain HTML files for the website (or even switch
completly to a wiki manual, if people agree). The reason for this step
is because makeinfo is rather limited when it comes to HTML output, you
cannot rearrange things or add certain needed header / footer parts
easily to it, _but_ there is an XML output available which theoretically
could be transformed to anything we want. And exactly this is Philipp's
work.

Thomas.