Re: [Monotone-devel] MonotoneOnDebian

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] MonotoneOnDebian
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:38:14 +0100

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:12 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In http://monotone.ca/wiki/MonotoneOnDebian/ it says,
>>
>> Monotone packages can currently be found in the Debian repositories.
>> Monotone changes very rapidly and versions in sarge and etch may be
>> slightly dated. It is recommend that you use the monotone package from
>> the monotone website or the version that is in sid/unstable which is
>> generally kept up to date.
>>
>> But going to the monotone website, I find no .deb packages for etch.
>> There are packages for Suse, but that's not the same.
>
> Hm, perhaps that should be reworded.  The .deb on the website is
> generally built against sid, and I doubt it will work on etch myself.
> We generally haven't bothered doing backports but if you grab the
> source package from sid (0.40-7) it should build fine against etch's
> libraries.

I agree that the paragraph should be removed. It is no longer true
that monotone changes very rapidly; in fact, it has an amazing track
record of backwards compatibility (at the netsync level) since 0.26.
The changes in database schema are more frequent but not generally a
problem since migration is painless.  The user interface has remained
clear, simple and consistent all along despite the new features.
That's one of the reasons I like monotone so much and I'm happy using
whatever version of monotone is in Debian (currently 0.40-7), even if
it is not the latest.

--
Ludovic Brenta.