Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:43:32 -0700

Bruce Stephens wrote:
As long as there is still as recursive version, I am happy.

I think the default ought to be the recursive one (as it seems to be
for other systems (those that I use, anyway)).  However, I've no idea
whether either option is better in any objective sense.

subversion, for example, does not list the contents of unknown directories in its status output at least. Personally I like not seeing all of the gory details most of the time.

As far as optionally enabling/disabling recursive support goes, I'm not sure a --recursive option entirely makes sense. ls unknown is still generally recursive, just not in the case of unknown directories so I'm not sure what the option should be called.

Alternatively, perhaps a hook that controls this would be better as it appears that most people want the current behaviour by default and maybe the "don't list content of unknown directories" option is more of a workspace type setting that a option that you want to flip back and forth on.

Also for ls known and ls unknown, I would really like it if pathnames
were relative to the current directory, not the base directory, ie:

address@hidden:~/tree/config/include$ mtn ls known .
include
include/config.sh
include/filter

Jonathan Shapiro argued against that, based on some experience with
OpenCM.  It annoys me, too, but I can see the arguments on both sides.
It doesn't seem at all clear that what monotone does now is wrong.

Yeah, this has come up a few times and should be simple enough to implement. I'm curious to know what shap's objections would have been though. Do you have a link handy?

Cheers,
Derek