Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 00:43:42 -0800

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 09:19:23AM +0100, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/7636
> and around. He was arguing about confused users and about consistency. Me
> personally, I was not convinced.
>
> Instead, I was confused when I had to learn that the paths monotone /accepts/
> (from the cmdline) have to be relative to cwd, while the paths
> monotone /emits/ are always relative to the workspace root.

So you argue that all paths monotone prints out, from all commands
including e.g. 'status', should always be relative to the cwd?

Otherwise the confusion you are mentioning is orthogonal to the
confusion he mentions, and your confusion would remain even if ls
unknown and friends were changed...

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I tend to agree with shap
that there's no perfect answer and one just has to pick something and
go with it.

Maybe the real problem is calling those commands "ls", which creates
an expectation that they will work like, well, ls(1).  The ls command
is definitely one of the messier pieces of UI, it's a total jumble
(what exactly do 'ls branches', 'ls certs', 'ls epochs', and 'ls
unknown' have to do with each other?).

> Besides this, the zsh completion code could be less complex with relative
> paths.

Unless you want to use things like like automate get_revision or
automate inventory, which certainly don't and won't use relative
paths...

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender