Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:29:37 +1100

    Nathaniel> So you argue that all paths monotone prints out, from
    Nathaniel> all commands including e.g. 'status', should always be
    Nathaniel> relative to the cwd?

I would like this. It makes it more consistent IMHO. It also makes it
easier to pipe the output into other commands, such as xargs.

I haven't read the referenced email yet, but I think the current way
is confusing and inflexible. Also it is easier to add the path back in
later then remove it.

    Nathaniel> Maybe the real problem is calling those commands "ls",
    Nathaniel> which creates an expectation that they will work like,
    Nathaniel> well, ls(1).  The ls command is definitely one of the
    Nathaniel> messier pieces of UI, it's a total jumble (what exactly
    Nathaniel> do 'ls branches', 'ls certs', 'ls epochs', and 'ls
    Nathaniel> unknown' have to do with each other?).

Interesting point. See my other post.

My preference would be to have "ls" act like ls (and maybe even
support common options such as -l), but only list known
files. However, this would break the current UI :-( ).
--
Brian May <address@hidden>