Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:05:46 -0700

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:40:37AM +0100, Nuno Lucas wrote:
> [13-05-2005 0:08, David Brown escreveu]
> >On Thu, 12 May 2005 13:17:56 -0700, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
> >I encountered this as a problem with 'arch', though, because their
> >default  ignore list has 'core' as a file to ignore.  It also ignores
> >the entire  net/core directory when importing the linux kernel.
>
> I'm one of those that decided to use monotone to version my /etc dir
> and have this same problem with a /etc/init.d/net.lo file. Monotone
> simply refuses to add it because it is an "ignorable" file.

It's not clear what to do here.  One solution that I thought of was
that 'ignore' only applies to files that are found recursively -- so
if you say "add init.d/", then net.lo will be ignored, but if you
actually straight-out say "add init.d/net.lo", then it will still be
added.

The problem with this is that it makes "add ." and "add *" quite
surprisingly different, so I'm dubious.

Any ideas?  How do other systems handle the "no, really, I actually
don't want to ignore this file, even though I said so elsewhere" case?

(In your case, I really would recommend overriding the ignore hook,
since the default really is designed for software development
projects...)

Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic
realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers,
philologists, psychologists, biologists and neurologists, along with
whatever blood can be got out of grammarians. - Russ Rymer