Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: .mt-ignore and .cvsignore files
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 23:49:17 -0700

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:00:45PM +0200, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> > Yes, but just because there's a subtle technical difference doesn't
> > mean that people don't expect them to work the same, and won't
> > make mistakes, experience confusion, etc. if they don't...
>
> I think it's safe to assume your users have a basic knowledge of shell
> expansion. E.g. the same applies to find . -name * vs. find . -name "*",
> which people still have to somehow understand.
>

> > Also, the difference here is in the other direction -- "*" would
> > potentially include lots of things that _aren't_ included by ".".
> > Which really is a bit surprising, no?
>
> No. That's the feature you were talking about. Just document it.

Maybe we're getting our wires crossed here, because I have no idea
what you mean here :-).

I can say that making "add ." and "add *" different for directories
that don't have any dotfiles in them would confuse _me_, and I consider
myself a rather savvy user...

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen