Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful

From: Sergio . Garcia
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 17:41:41 +0200

> May 2005 00:29:48 -0700, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> said:
njs> Here's another pathological case for 3-way merge:
njs>    A
njs>    |
njs>    B
njs>   / \
njs>  C   D

Hello,

As I see it, this case and the criss-cross problem just show that picking any
common ancestor is not enough to provide a "correct" merge ancestor (one that
doesnt lose work), and much less a "nice" merge ancestor (a correct merge
ancestor that also never requires the users to solve the same conflict twice). I
fail to imagine an example where the LCAD algorithm could be not correct by
choosing an ancestor such as A in your example.

Im also not very convinced yet that there exists no algorithm to find a nice
merge ancestor. Even then, I personally would be willing to solve the same
conflict twice once in a while, if it was necessary to be able to use a standard
3-way merger to solve conflicts.

Sergio

envoyé via Webmail/IMAG !