Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:13:52 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

This constructed "work file" could also be made to have conflicts as
soon as any file movement differs, for good measure.  That would force
the decision between differing file movements back into the hands of
the programmers, and do it in a way that still fits the 3-way merge
model, if I understand it correctly.  The programmer would have to
choose between removing the file (B->C file movement) or keeping it
(B->D lack of file movement) in the first example.  The programmer
would have to choose between renaming the file (B->C) or keep the same
name (B->D) in the second example.

Does this really solve the problem?

I mean, doesn't resorting to asking the programmer simply mean that in the simple 3-point graph case where a file has been added, deleted, or renamed, we're forced to ask the programmer even though we already have very good reason to believe that we know what should be done?

The problem in the stated degenerate case is that we're lacking info. Lacking the info of what occurred in a->b, we naturally ascribe it to a->d since that transition shows a change while the a->c transition does not. The only reason our answer differs from the programmer's answer is that the programmer has access to the a->b info. If he lacked that info, he'd initially come to the same conclusion that we do. To resolve the situation, we need to include the info from a->b.

--rich