Re: 3-way merge considered harmful (was Re: [Monotone-devel] merge weird

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: 3-way merge considered harmful (was Re: [Monotone-devel] merge weirdness...)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:28:45 -0700

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 07:16:34AM -0400, Joel Reed wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:24:54PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Note you can do it for tree rearrangements too; treat each file as
> > having a single-line chunk of data, containing its name, and a pointer
> > to its parent directory.  The tricky part about this in the monotone
> > case is figuring out which files in the left and right tree actually
> > have the same logical identity.
>
> would it be possible to switch monotone to git's model of storing
> complete file copies rather than delta's? wouldn't this would fix
> the above problem?

Answered this already on IRC, but just for the record: the git model
is semantically equivalent to monotone's (not too surprising, git
appears to be heavily based on monotone).  We use deltas for
compression only, they have no effect whatsoever beyond that.  So --
no :-).

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco