[Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: 3-way merge considered harmful
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 18:53:45 +0100

Joel Reed <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:24:54PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> Note you can do it for tree rearrangements too; treat each file as
>> having a single-line chunk of data, containing its name, and a
>> pointer to its parent directory.  The tricky part about this in the
>> monotone case is figuring out which files in the left and right
>> tree actually have the same logical identity.
>
> would it be possible to switch monotone to git's model of storing
> complete file copies rather than delta's? wouldn't this would fix
> the above problem?

I hope it wouldn't solve the problem.

Surely to determine logical identity, in principle you just start from
the current file and work backwards through history undoing file
renames until you find where the file was added, and that's the file's
identity?  (I'm presuming that we record what happened in merges.)  Or
are there nasty edge cases?