[Monotone-devel] Re: Approving?

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Approving?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:13:53 -0500

Peter Simons wrote:
Nathaniel Smith writes:

 > you [need to] add an 'ancestor' cert

I see. Is this process documented somewhere?

there is a baby section (under "quality assurance") taking shape about this stuff in the docs in my development version, but not on the public website (yet). basically the short answer is:

  - all versions of monotone up until now didn't implement this in a
    particularly well thought out manner, because I was hoping against
    hope to work out something clever to do with sorting arbitrary
    certs. I've since given up on that and am implementing "the simplest
    thing which could possibly work" on top of ancestry and testresult
    certs.

  - as of the next version, "approve" is literally going to mean
    "adding another ancestry cert". until then you can simulate the
    same thing by adding in an mcert of your own. for example, if you
    want the edge "PARENT -> CHILD" to become live in your database, you
    can currently do this:

    monotone address@hidden cert manifest CHILD ancestor PARENT

    in the next version, "manifest approve PARENT CHILD" is going
    to be redirected to be a synonym for this command.

-graydon