Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:40:05 +1100

> Okay, so I implemented it.
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/b4d182dad1a5
>
> Mark, Tony, please try the new layout and tell me what you're
> thinking about it.

It's very clean and uncluttered, works well in practice, and should be
obvious to most at first glance.

> BTW: Since the timestamp is now a single directory name, I decided
> to format it as:
>
>    20091220_154718
>
> rather than:
>
>    20091220154718
>
> That way, it's hopefully easier to read. I also tried to split
> it even more, e.g.
>
>    2009-12-20_15-47-18
>
> but that didn't add readability, so I kept the first variant.

The first seems the most readable at a glance to me. Separating
further may be useful if the timestamp had any significance, but it
only makes my eyes jump around in this case.

> Oh, and another thing: You can set your own build timestamp by
> doing something like:
>
>    make ... TIMESTAMP=2009-20-12_my_final_build
>
> :-)

This may turn out to be the handiest feature in the long term. I
hadn't thought about it before, but keeping the logs for a particular
named build is probably what I was looking for from the start.

Thank you.