Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Makefiles changes to help testing
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 06:22:56 +0100

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > >     B) Move the log files into a separate folder and add a timestamp:
> > >
> > >             usr/log-PKG        ->  log/`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`-PKG
> >
> > I am curious about why you decided to use the timestamp as a prefix
> > instead of a suffix on logfiles. [...]
> > I can understand that you sometimes might want to sort
> > by timestamp, but "ls -t" will do that.
>
> [...] When I need to
> sort/search by date, it's typically to do a diff between builds, and a
> timestamped directory is easier in this case. Attached are the changes to
> use a suffix instead and create the directories I like to use.

Tony, Mark, thanks for your input! I'm trying to improve my
solution. However, I'd like to keep it simple, and having
three symlinks for each logfile looks a bit clumsy to me.

As we can always sort log files by date, and keep them into
sub directories, there isn't any reason to put a timestamp
to the file names. Also, I like the idea of having a single
directory (=timestamp) for a whole build, rather than separate
timestamps for each package.

So two directory layouts for log/ come into mind:

A)
        log/
            TIMESTAMP1/
                pkg1
                pkg3
            TIMESTAMP2/
                pkg1
                pkg5
            pkg1 -> TIMESTAMP2/pkg1
            pkg3 -> TIMESTAMP1/pkg3
            pkg5 -> TIMESTAMP2/pkg5

B)
        log/
            TIMESTAMP1/
                pkg1
                pkg3
            TIMESTAMP2/
                pkg1
                pkg5
            latest -> TIMESTAMP2/

Personally, I'd prefer A), because there every latest logfile
for each package is easily accessible, without any sub directories.

> I'm pretty sure this covers all my needs:
> -preserve log files
> -find log for failing pkg quickly
> -compare logs for individual pkg easily
> -compare build directories easily

What do you think about it? Does A) fullfil all your requirements?
Or is B) better for some reasons? Or do you have a completely different
proposal?

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR