Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Should binary files built with the same opti

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Should binary files built with the same options be identical?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:52:40 +1100

2009/12/16 Volker Grabsch <address@hidden>

> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> > Their behaviour is identical (not saying much), size in
> > bytes is the same, but they have different hashes. Looking at binary diffs
> > and a hex editor, there seem to be about 2-5 bytes in each file that are
> > different. Is this the expected behaviour? Should I be chasing down quirks
> > in my build systems?
>
> It could be some kind of timestamp and/or debug information. I never
> expected such binaries to be identical, but it would nevertheless
> be interesting to know where exactly the differences come from.

It seems I am looking for a deterministic or reproducible build.

http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-02/msg00091.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-toolchain/2009/02/17/msg000577.html

Timestamps are part of it, but trying the -D option to ar still
produces binaries that differ by a few bytes, and the rest is mostly
over my head. I think I'll leave this alone for a while.