mailman

Re: List owner password reset

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 00:33:26 -0700

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> Having "subscribed" again to the very ML I'm supposed to be in
> charge of, I'm relieved to notice that this list turns out not to be
> as dormant as I feared, since for months I've only been receiving
> bounces notifications but none of the actual discussions happening
> there...

You can always read the archives of what you missed online:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/

There is also a link there to download the raw mailboxes so that you
can backfill your mailbox with past messages too.

> Perhaps there is some disclaimer I missed, but if not, dumb ML admins
> such as yours truly *could* perhaps benefit from having a big warning
> somewhere, reminding us that being listed as an "owner" doesn't make
> you a "subscriber", but that these two roles are indeed entirely
> separate (with different accounts and passwords), neither one of which
> subsumes the other.

Since your mailing list is a French speaking list it doesn't get the
listhelper anti-spam, which most unfortunately, has an English
language Bayes database.  (Until I can split it and support multiple
languages in multiple databases.)  So this next doesn't apply.  But as
long as we are ranting I want to get this rant out too. :-)

One of my pet peeves about Mailman is that when there are separate
owner and moderator addresses registered that Mailman still sends all
of the moderator traffic to the owner address.  That creates a huge
amount of noise.  Because of that I always recommend that owners using
the listhelper anti-spam filter and discard the moderator messages.
Since the listhelper robot will automatically discard most of the spam
and therefore those messages are truly noise to the owner.  But
Mailman has no way of doing that.

> Anyway, thanks for your reply, and please rest assured that there are
> no hard feelings on my part. Keep up the good work! :-)

Thanks!  Sorry if I sounded too hurt.  I am glad things are working
out for you! :-)

Bob