lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev t2thtml & t2tgrnest

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev t2thtml & t2tgrnest
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:51:19 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 991123 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > I would like to know about instances where TZ's latest t2tgrnest gives
> > a better result than the t2thtml I have currently under
> > <http://enteract.com/~kweide/lynx/lxtab/>
> > (so that we can potentially improve the t2thtml).
>
> well, the obvious difference is that the former gives tables in text,
> the latter only as HTML, which has to be further (badly) processed by Lynx.

I asked for concrete examples.  Obviously post-processing throug lynx
of the t2thtml output, but not of the t2tgrnest output, was implied.
Instead of giving a concrete answer, you just continue assert that
something works 'badly'.

> as i said in another message, if you want HTML for any reason,
> use t2tgrnest, then enclose the result in <pre> ... </pre> .

As I said in another message, what about links.

(You also forget about character escaping, one doesn't just get HTML
by enclosing everything in PRE.)

> i simply can't understand (big smiles etc)
> why you don't use your apparently available time & considerable skills
> to convert the logic of t2tgrnest into C code for inclusion in Lynx,

It's you claim that it should be simple.  I don't share that opinion.

> subject to whatever interface seems best with Lynx's existing code;
> i've suggested a possible approach resembling frames on the outside.
> don't forget, TZ' programs work only for UNIX users.

Are you claiming there is no gawk for other than UNIX systems?

> you also commented on the OCAA tables elsewhere:
> they are the best example offered so far of real-life tables,
> contained in a professional economic report which was originally hard-copy.
> by all means point me to equally real-life alternatives,
> so that i can test TZ' impressive creation some more
> (no, not football results or film-fan contest entries).

You are obviously biased - 'real-life' means what PW considers so.
Tables that other users encounter, and may want to render, don't
count if they are about frivolous topics, hmm?

I think your disinterest in having working links is largely because
your 'professional' example doesn't happen to use them.

> and yes it was you who reminded us all re TZ' work ...
> (big smile superimposed on look of puzzled exasperation).

I'm not sure what puzzles you.  Both t2thtml and t2tgrnest are TZ's work.

   Klaus