lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Dosish diffs for MingW32 version of November 3 lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Dosish diffs for MingW32 version of November 3 lynx
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:52:33 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 address@hidden wrote:
[Leonid P.:]
> >Also, you lost Klaus' point on LYUtils.c ifdef'ing - you very very wrong
> >when changing #ifndef to #ifdef entirely (this will affect Unix ports).
> >
> Are you sure?  Did you compile it for Linux to be certain?  I know that
> the Windows versions of lynx had strange problems with input before the
> change, froze up under Windows 98, etc.  And, with the change, they
> work just fine.

It's pretty obvious.  The Windows versions had strange problems, you
say.  So you "grab" the code for non-Windows for the Windows case,
*away* from the non-Windows case.  That's exactly what changing the
#ifndef to #ifdef does.

To humor you, I actually tried it.  Yep, now lynx on linux has "very strange
problems" indeed, just as expected.  I assume just the same kind of thing
that you must have seen on Windows before the "grab".  Lynx seems to hang
when retrieving a document (or even looking up a name), but you can pace it
through its steps by hitting a key (like simply spacebar) a lot.

(Btw regarding a different topic - it's in this strange "paced" mode that
I first noticed a problem with Tom Zerucha's proxy hanging (and it wouldn't
recover even when pacing lynx through).  iirc.)

  Klaus