lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:49:08 +0900 (JST)

>> duplicating the "development version" (http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/)
   ^^^^^^^^^^^
>> and "your lynx.cfg" (LYNXCFG:/) links on the =)nformation page, and
>> make them available only on the form-based O)ption Menu?  The Option
>> Menu is where they have meaning, not on a page that is information about
>> the current document.
>
>=)information page is not the best place for that links, but where is a
>better one?

IMO, O)ptions Menu.

>1) It is a reasonable thing to have a link to a recent version depositary
>next to the version/date information _somewhere_ in a noticeable place
>in lynx to encourage users to upgrade. Lot of querries to lynx-dev prove

Ageed, but I'd like the =)information page "clean", i.e., only the function
it was designed for.  Fewer lines of irrelevant information on the page
means extra lines available for other information about the currently viewed
page, if in the future such information were to become available.

>complexity for user to navigate across the "important links" and new
>one, informational.

Not a navigational "problem."

>3) When moved to the options menu, old-fashion menu users will lack the
>functionality. Is that you want to?

Yes.  Discourages use of the old, static options menu.

>> and "your lynx.cfg" (LYNXCFG:/) links on the =)nformation page, and
>
>this only happen for DOS/WINDOWS ports (could be removed, yes),
>autoconf-based ports read "compile-time settings" here.
>In case we move it to the options menu we got a case (3).
            ^^^^^^^
It's already on the forms-based O)ptions menu; which is in itself, i.e.,
the _duplication_, my major complaint.

Anyway, it's up to you.

__Henry

PS  You'll all be happy to know that I've been pretty much cut off from
    lynx-dev.  No knowing when things will normalize.