lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Would an Outline View be feasible?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Would an Outline View be feasible?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:05:49 +0000 (GMT)

> outline views of HTML: the w3c's Amaya browser has a
> "Table of Contents" view; StarOffice has a Navigator

Amaya is an attempt to create a tool for constructing
valid HTML, it's not surprising that it assumes that people
use Hn properly.

A better example would be html2ps, which, in combination with
Distiller or ghostscript will put the outline into a PDF table
of contents.

> window; and MS Word provides two outline-oriented views.

Most people I have seen using Word use it in WYSIWYG, the same
as they use web authoring tools, and just set fonts for their
headings (I do use the outline feature, but then I tend to compose
word documents like HTML one, i.e. compose in Notepad, then add
markup afterwards).

My estimate is that you will not find more than about 10% of real
world web sites that look sensible in outline mode.  Probably more
than 50% will either not use Hn at all, or use them for the side
effects in terms of size and font.