lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Would an Outline View be feasible?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Would an Outline View be feasible?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:05:44 -0500 (EST)

 From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>

> (b) Tweak HText implementation in GridText.c.  I assume it's enough to
>     do the collapsing/expanding in a line oriented way (not affecting
>     parts of lines, but only lines as a whole.  The required basis for
>     this could be adding a 'visible' flag to each HTLine, which would
>     be set/unset in some way by user actions.  All functions that
>     produce output from a HText structure (display_page/display_line
>     etc.) would have to be modified to look at that flag (and skip
>     lines marked as currently 'invisible').  But that's just part of
>     it - all functions that count lines in some way, as for going to
>     the previous/next page (screen) need changing, how should anchors
>     within the invisible part be handled?, and of course how to
>     display somthing in place of the now-invisible lines.  This would
>     be just the basis to build upon, creating this basis would be the
>     most difficult part (I think it would take significant time, and
>     the code isn't easy to understand in this area...YMMV).  After
>     this, things would get easier.

No need for such monstrosities.  Just add a new field to HTLine, say,
HiddenLines.  If you need to collapse several lines into one, create
an HTLine for the new line, move collapsed HTLines to HiddenLines
field of the new line, and replace these lines by the newly created
line.  Reverse on uncollapsing.

(Of course, one may need to recalculate other hashed info in struct _HText.)

Ilya