Re: [Ltib] LTIB for Raspberry Pi

From: Mike Goins
Subject: Re: [Ltib] LTIB for Raspberry Pi
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:17:48 -0400

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Sean Malloy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> To be fairly sure it only contains GPL'ed content (or freely distributable)
>> Have the sources available (SRPM would be nice), so that other people can
>> rebuild the toolchain if they want to.
>
> The repository from where we got the binary toolchains
> (http://github.com/raspberrypi/tools) also contains the crosstool-ng
> config files that were used to generate them
> (https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools/tree/master/configs).
>
> Is it sufficient to include those config files along with a pointer to
> crosstool-ng in the platforms/rpi directory?

Possibly, but I consider it shaky ground.  It is best if an entity
that distributes GPL'd binaries makes the source available that builds
that exact binary.   You may be to able to point a link to upstream,
but the moment that upstream source is not available you may be out of
compliance (well technically there is no requirement that you make it
available on-line under V2, but usually done as a convenience to avoid
having to create a CD/DVD of the source and mail it back to the
requester).

> This is enough
> information to re-create the toolchains exactly as they are now.
> (Note that it's not necessary to actually include the gcc source
> tarballs as crosstool-ng downloads them as needed based on the config
> file.)

I did just notice one problem with binary tar of the toolchain from
github.  It seems to be devoid of any license.  So what we did is make
a derivative of a binary and it inherited whatever license the tar was
under, but not sure what it is.   This alone would prevent me from
hosting it one something I am responsible for.

I surprised no one has asked the maintainer of the project/tar at
github where/what the license is?   Perhaps this is just an error
(feature) in crosstool-ng?