lmi

Re: [lmi] Building libxml++

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Building libxml++
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:17:43 +0000

On 2006-9-15 12:49 UTC, Greg Chicares wrote:
> I'm trying to find the easiest way for us to build libxml++, but
> so far I haven't come close to building it at all.

[Evgeniy--I'm posting this copy of your 19 Sep 2006 17:02:03 +0200
reply. It was blocked by 'mailman', and I can't figure out how to
unblock it. Could I ask you please to upload the original attachments
to our 'patch' tracker, omitting 'glibmm_check_perl.m4' because we
aren't sure of its copyright status, and also because we won't need
it as long as we use '--without-ustring'. Thanks.]

[On 2006-9-15 12:49 UTC, Greg Chicares wrote:]
> I'm trying to find the easiest way for us to build libxml++, but
> so far I haven't come close to building it at all.

I have compiled libxml++ on a fresh install of msys without using
pkg-config. Below you can find the detailed instructions. I was not
able to upload files into the download area of lmi page, therefore all
files are included with the message. The total size of the atachments
is around 30kb.

0) msys and mingw
Install msys into c:/msys_clean
   MSYS-1.0.10.exe
   msysDTK-1.0.1.exe
Unpack the following into c:/msys_clean/mingw
   gcc-core-3.4.2-20040916-1
   gcc-g++-3.4.2-20040916-1
   mingw-runtime-3.9
   w32api-3.6

1) libxml2-2.6.26
Do the configue-build in the root directory of the library distribution.
To exclude some unwanted dependancies pass these options to configure.
By default the library installs itself into /usr/local.
   ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --with-debug
--without-iconv --with-schemas --without-schematron --without-modules
   make
   make install

2) libxslt-1.1.17
The library provides pregenerated *.h files. If one builds the library
in non-default directory (not in the root), then for some reason
compiler could pick up those default files with default options
instead of the ones from the build directory. The easiest way to
resolve the issue is to configure and build in the root directory of
the library distribution.

   ./configure --with-debug --enable-shared --disable-static
   make
   make install

Note: i've experienced some problems during "make install", a part of the log:

   make  install-exec-hook
   make[3]: Entering directory `C:/msys_clean/xml/libxslt-1.1.17/libxslt'
   C:/msys_clean/bin/sh.exe ../mkinstalldirs "/usr/local/lib/libxslt-plugins"
   /usr/bin/sh: -c: line 3: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Pass the "-i" option to make (to ignore any errors) to resolve the issue:
   make -i install

3) libxml++-2.14.0
Do the configue-build in the root directory of the library distribution.
Apply the patch:
   patch -p1 < libxml++_replace_ustring_with_std_string.patch
Apply another patch (disables sax_exceptions target in examples directory):
   patch -p1 < libxml++_exclude_examples_sax_exception.patch
   # For some reason that example does not compile for me. Maybe
compiling the static version
   # of the libraries would fix that.
Put pkg.m4 and glibmm_check_perl.m4 into the root directory of the distribution.
Run autotools:
   aclocal -I .
   autoconf
   automake --add-missing --copy
Create a pkg-config file with the following content:
   #!/bin/sh
Set environemet variables:
   export PKG_CONFIG=`pwd`/pkg-config
   export LIBXML_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/libxml2
   export LIBXML_LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -lxml2"
Run configure, make, install:
   ./configure --without-ustring --enable-shared --disable-static
   make
   make install

Eugene