lmi

Re: [lmi] Copyable diagnostic messages [Was: Editor for product files: s

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Copyable diagnostic messages [Was: Editor for product files: sketch of...]
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:16:36 +0200

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:12:49 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> It would be helpful to use such an interface element for diagnostic
GC> messages.

 The standard message box has a very nice but not widely known feature
under Windows: you can press Ctrl-C in it to copy its entire text into
clipboard. As wx uses a standard message box for simple messages, it should
work as long as there is a single message only too. There are 2 problems
however:

1. it doesn't work as long as there is more than one message as then a
   custom dialog (the one with "Details" button) is used and it doesn't
   support Ctrl-C

2. it doesn't work on the other platforms (although GTK 2 does use a read-
   only text control in its message box so you can select all the text and
   copy it -- while it's less convenient than just pressing Ctrl-C IMHO
   it's better than nothing)

 I'm not sure we can do anything about (2) but we can fix (1) easily
(either by supporting Ctrl-C in this dialog or adding a "Copy" button near
the "Save" one or by doing both). Please let me know if you'd like to do
this.

 Thanks,
VZ