Text in alternative endings

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Text in alternative endings
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 17:59:24 -0500

Hi -

I'm running LilyPond 2.19.80 with Frescobaldi 2.18.1 under Linux/Ubuntu.

I'm trying to substitute text for the numbers in alternative endings. I've struggled with this before. I've tried looking in the Notation Reference and in the Snippet Repository. I'm attaching the closest I've been able to come to what I want.

I have a partial measure at the beginning, before the repeat.
I'd like to get rid of the end-repeat sign at the beginning of the first alternative.
The notes are all there, where they're supposed to be.
The "1., etc." for the first alternative is just the way I'd like it.
However, the bracket for the first alternative closes the repeat structure, and there is no enclosure or text for the second alternative.

This is not intuitive to me.

Can someone please help me solve this?

I appreciate your time and attention,

Ralph