Re: Text in alternative endings

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: Text in alternative endings
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 08:25:30 -0500

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 4:54 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ralph Palmer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I'm running LilyPond 2.19.80 with Frescobaldi 2.18.1 under Linux/Ubuntu.
>>
>> I'm trying to substitute text for the numbers in alternative endings. I've
>> struggled with this before. I've tried looking in the Notation Reference
>> and in the Snippet Repository. I'm attaching the closest I've been able to
>> come to what I want.
>

> Look up the syntax of \alternative maybe?
> David Kastrup

Hi Ralph,

as David already said rereading the docs about \alternative-syntax
would help, also the section about manual repeats.

Correct syntax for pure manual repeats would be:

​Thanks for your responses, David and Harm.

David, I *did* read the section on long repeats and alternatives in the Notation Reference. It was partially helpful. However, I did not realize that having the \set command outside the soft brackets would make the \set command an alternative. I also tried various alternate ways of including the \set commands, with only partial luck.

Harm, thanks for the help. I haven't yet quite decided which way to go - probably with \override s.

As I said, I've run into this in the past and others may have, too. When I have a few minutes, I plan to submit all three successful versions as snippets.

All the  best,

Ralph​

--
Ralph Palmer