Re: Moving guitar fingering orientations

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Moving guitar fingering orientations
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:17:19 -0500

This is a good suggestion, but be sure that what you say is "fingering orientation" needs a chord construct, not just "fingering." One can also see examples of successful fingering orientations with single notes by clicking on the inspirational header. I definitely used some in that. I realize it should be *more* obvious, but at least there's some help there ;-) I definitely understand the problem since I had exactly the same problem when I was revising this section of the docs and I couldn't figure out why the orientations didn't take. My own notes make the same suggestion as Nick, but since the "fingering" part of the manual was somewhere else," I wasn't able to add this warning, and I don't remember making any examples using orientations in the fretted string section (did I?!). We'll get it cleared up :)

Jon

Nick Payne wrote:
Trevor

I think the problem is that all the snippets in s.2.4.1 of the manual
showing placing of fingering use actual chords as illustrations, and so it
is not made clear that a single note also requires the chord construct to
enable placing of the fingering. The same problem exists in the section
dealing with fingering at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-fo
r-fretted-strings#Common-notation-for-fretted-strings - the snippets showing
placement of fingering use actual chords. Section 2.4.1 of the manual has a
highlighted pullout indicating that the chordal construction is needed for
string numbering: "Note: String numbers must be defined inside a chord
construct even if there is only a single note". I suggest that the section
on fingering instructions has a similar pullout indicating that the same
construction is needed for placing the fingering on single notes, and an
example of such.

Nick