RE: Moving guitar fingering orientations

From: Nick Payne
Subject: RE: Moving guitar fingering orientations
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 06:35:25 +1100

Trevor

I did have a look at the manual section on direction and placement
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Direction-and-pla
cement#Direction-and-placement), but didn't find what I was after. I
eventually found the needed instructions by doing a google search of the
lilypond web site:

"\set fingeringOrientations" site:lilypond.org

And the first returned hit showed what I needed:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Within_00
2dstaff-objects

I think the problem is that all the snippets in s.2.4.1 of the manual
showing placing of fingering use actual chords as illustrations, and so it
is not made clear that a single note also requires the chord construct to
enable placing of the fingering. The same problem exists in the section
dealing with fingering at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-fo
r-fretted-strings#Common-notation-for-fretted-strings - the snippets showing
placement of fingering use actual chords. Section 2.4.1 of the manual has a
highlighted pullout indicating that the chordal construction is needed for
string numbering: "Note: String numbers must be defined inside a chord
construct even if there is only a single note". I suggest that the section
on fingering instructions has a similar pullout indicating that the same
construction is needed for placing the fingering on single notes, and an
example of such.

Nick