Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:26:27 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

There are two of those lines.  The first places the incipit immediately
to the left of the normal staff.  That one is not an issue since it is
both sensible as well as unique to incipits.

The second places the normal instrument name immediately to the left of
the incipit.

> My assumption is that, since is is using \once, then it is not
> changing another entirely unrelated default.

Doesn't matter whether it is is \once or not since the value is only
consulted a single time anyway when the first and only system of the
incipit markup is created.

> Please could you explain how/why/whether this is incorrect, and
> how/whether it could be fixed.  I really don't like having to specify
> \incipit \with { \override InstrumentName.self-alignment-X = #RIGHT }
> because I do believe that this should be default behaviour in this
> situation.

In my opinion, the optimal situation would be if
InstrumentName.self-alignment-X would just be taken from the enclosing
Staff.  In that manner, one would put any overrides for the Staff
InstrumentName exactly where one would put them without incipit.
I don't see a good way to do that, however.  Thus the \with proposal.

At any rate: why do you believe that an instrument should be formatted
differently before an incipit than before a regular score?