Re: AccidentalCautionary in NullVoice

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: AccidentalCautionary in NullVoice
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 23:43:16 -0700

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 17:15:47 -0700, Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

On Aug 10, 2014, at 15:40 , Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:
On Aug 10, 2014, at 14:55 , Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
You could then enter \accepts NullVoice into just those Staffs where you use
this technique.
(Usually, \partcombine refuses to change the voicing during dynamics, resulting
more often in doubled dynamics;  I didn't know it would lose dynamics.)
Doh!  I just remembered that I’m not using the default functions for generating
the part combiner split list.  I’m using 2.16(?) with my own modifications that
make it look better for vocal music.  I’ll test the default and provide an
example.  Maybe I need to merge the scheme code from the newer release into my
own.

Please try this.  The first score is missing a dynamic mark.  The second score
has both, with each on the correct side of the staff.

So \partcombine has another limitation in that it sets \partcombine b4\f b\p
as unison despite the different dynamics.  Using \partcombineApart is the
simple solution.

If you meant \new Staff <<..>>  in your example then I see now NullVoice helps.
 \new Dynamics \soprano above the Staff would do similar, but then all the dynamics would
be set on the same line.

I'll still put NullVoice in \score by default, so it doesn't interact with the
accidental engraver, or anything else that we haven't noticed yet, and let you
\new Staff \with { \accepts NullVoice } when you really want NullVoice included
in the Staff.