Re: (almost-)freezing current master

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: (almost-)freezing current master
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:54:09 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:19 PM
Subject: (almost-)freezing current master

Hey all,

To prepare for 2.18, I think we can get it out fastish, but we need to more or less freeze current master aside from bug fixes and documentation. I have a lot of stuff on the countdown or on patch push that I'm not gonna push for a few months until we get 2.18 out (Ferneyhough hairpins, repeat slurs, etc.).

Is everyone comfortable adopting a similar policy? David has suggested 2-months as a possible time frame, which I think is possible (there are no egregious, unfixable bugs). I can hold off this long on pushing big patches. Any longer and it starts to become tedious w/ rebasing and further work and whatnot, so I am way-for an almost-freeze of current master.

Cheers,
MS

I'm concerned about the number of regressions:

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3ARegression

I've been guilty of the mis-classification of at least one of these (http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3241) - I called it ugly, I should almost certainly have called it critical. There are likely to be others. I would like to revisit these and check which should be reclassified critical. Finding any would block a stable release.

We also have 3 critical issues:

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=Type%3DCritical

I think these could possibly be revisited - for example, 2656. A number of people have looked at this, and no resolution has been proposed. If we know we can't fix something which has never been right, I don't see how we can block a stable release.

--
Phil Holmes