Re: (almost-)freezing current master

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: (almost-)freezing current master
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:17:56 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> To prepare for 2.18, I think we can get it out fastish, but we need to more
> or less freeze current master aside from bug fixes and documentation.
> I have a lot of stuff on the countdown or on patch push that I'm not gonna
> push
> for a few months until we get 2.18 out (Ferneyhough hairpins, repeat slurs,
> etc.).
>
> Is everyone comfortable adopting a similar policy?  David has suggested
> 2-months as a possible time frame, which I think is possible (there are no
> egregious, unfixable bugs).  I can hold off this long on pushing big patches.
> Any longer and it starts to become tedious w/ rebasing and further work
> and whatnot, so I am way-for an almost-freeze of current master.

I've just recently got back to working on lyrics stuff and work that i
should've done during Summer of Code, so that area is my top priority;
I cannot promise that i'll be able to spend additional time on
bugfixing.  However, i'm willing to accept "master freeze" as long as
it won't prevent my patches from getting reviews - i know that i won't
finish my work without other people looking at my code.

Fortunately, i don't think there are any technical difficulties with
reviewing code that's not on master, and i'm fluent enough with git to
juggle my code in branches.  So, as long as people won't start
ingoring patches that won't be scheduled to go into master, i agree to
a freeze.

cheers,
Janek