Re: report a programming error when trying to align on empty parent (iss

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: report a programming error when trying to align on empty parent (issue 7533046)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:37:37 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I don't know the logic of the code and its uses, so this is basically
>> my unqualified gut feeling and nothing else.  Flagging and reporting
>> a "problem" without any user-visible consequences does not appear
>> helpful to me.  What is the user or programmer supposed to do?
>>
>> Whether my characterization is accurate, I don't know either.  If it
>> isn't, function name and warning message could possibly be made more
>> informative.
>
> It is telling that (presumably after looking at the code at least
> once) you don't know what the logic of the code is.

No, in this case I actually did not bother to even look.  I looked at
the function name and the programming error message, and that was more
or less it.  For better or worse, comments putting a function into
perspective are almost universally absent in LilyPond, so understanding
how a function is supposed to be used involves searching through a
larger body of code.

Your patch is not responsible for this sad state of affairs, but of
course it does not help with reviewing it.