Re: report a programming error when trying to align on empty parent (iss

From: dak
Subject: Re: report a programming error when trying to align on empty parent (issue 7533046)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:14:51 +0000

On 2013/03/21 08:04:42, janek wrote:

So, you think that we shouldn't report any programming error in these
alignment
funcitons since an empty extent doesn't prevent us from doing our job
(i.e.
aligning)?

Well, with an empty extent it would appear our job of aligning _self_ is
already done before we even start.

(i'm just asking to make sure that i understood you correctly)
If so, i'll just delete all these error reports - fair enough for me.

For me the problem only starts once one tries aligning a non-empty
construct to an empty one.  For _that_ we need a coping strategy.

That strategy might in some cases warrant flagging an error, in other
cases it might warrant escalating to aligning on the empty construct's
parent instead.

I don't know the logic of the code and its uses, so this is basically my
unqualified gut feeling and nothing else.  Flagging and reporting a
"problem" without any user-visible consequences does not appear helpful
to me.  What is the user or programmer supposed to do?

Whether my characterization is accurate, I don't know either.  If it
isn't, function name and warning message could possibly be made more
informative.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7533046/