Re: report a programming error when trying to align on empty parent (iss

From: janek . lilypond
Subject: Re: report a programming error when trying to align on empty parent (issue 7533046)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 08:04:43 +0000

Thanks for review!

https://codereview.appspot.com/7533046/diff/3001/lily/self-alignment-interface.cc
File lily/self-alignment-interface.cc (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7533046/diff/3001/lily/self-alignment-interface.cc#newcode63
lily/self-alignment-interface.cc:63: programming_error ("cannot align on
self: empty element");
On 2013/03/21 06:57:46, dak wrote:
"cannot align on self: empty element" seems like a nonsensical
message.  An
empty element is more or less by definition aligned to anything.

I agree that the sentence is weird.  What about "element shouldn't have
empty extent"?

If you want to
flag problems, it might make more sense to address them in those
callers that
depend on non-emptiness than here.

So, you think that we shouldn't report any programming error in these
alignment funcitons since an empty extent doesn't prevent us from doing
our job (i.e. aligning)?
(i'm just asking to make sure that i understood you correctly)
If so, i'll just delete all these error reports - fair enough for me.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7533046/