Re: reorganize self_alignment_interface (issue 7768043)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: reorganize self_alignment_interface (issue 7768043)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 00:27:43 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The main reason that I suggest this is that exceptions in the code base lead
> to harder maintenance.
> I am guilty of adding some from time to time (i.e. in stencil integral) but I
> try to get rid of them as fast as possible.
> One example in the code base that I don't like: check out line 136.

In which file?  line 136 of self-alignment-interface.cc from master is empty.

> Granted, whoever created it doesn't like it either from the looks of the
> comment.
> It makes the code harder to read, maintain and understand.
> The worst offender by far is the metronome mark - there are so many exceptions
> concerning who its parent is that it leads to actual problems with layout in
> certain cases.

Sure, that's no good at all.

> I definitely like your idea of coming up with a single function, though.
> Perhaps try the following:
>
> -) always decompose axis-groups into elements (recursively if need be)

What do you mean by axis-groups?  'hims' (a vector of grobs that me
shoulld be aligned to)?

> -) create a non_musical flag that, if set, weeds out all grobs where
> non-musical is set to #t

I'm not quite surehow non-musical grobs are related to alignment code.
 Do you mean that this flag would be responsible for "getting rid of
PaperColumn parent"?

cheers,
JAenk