Re: PATCH: Issue 638 Autobeaming

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PATCH: Issue 638 Autobeaming
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:58:04 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Carl,
>
> A question.  Does your code require autobeaming
> rules to be defined for beams of every possible
> duration?  I ask because the following example beams
> inconsistently, and I'm not sure if this is due to your
> code or differences in the autobeaming rules for 4/4 and
> 2/2 time signatures.  With a32 instead of a64 a64 the
> beaming is fine.
>
> \relative c'' {
>  a8 a a a32 a a a a8 a a a64 a a32 a a |
>  a8 a a32 a a16 a8  a8 a16 a32 a a8 a|
>  \time 2/2
>  a8 a a a32 a a a a8 a a a64 a a32 a a |
>  a8 a a32 a a16 a8  a8 a16 a32 a a8 a|
> }

I think that if we establish the rule "a broken beam decision is never
reconsidered" we can abolish the '* rule for beaming patterns and
instead let a non-specified minimal duration always be broken according
to the time intervals of its next-larger cousin.

That would simplify the default patterns, not cause problems when new
lengths get supported, and make it harder for users to specify patterns
manually with accidentally undefined behavior.